Tuesday 5 February 2008

NatWest (not) Customer Service....

After a three year+ pursuit, I bought the dot.com of a dot.co.uk domain I have held for six years from a Texan based American, through German internet exchange Sedo GmbH for the sum of $5000. After investigating the option of buying the wrap-around company in which the domain was held, for various legal and financial reasons it proved wiser just to buy the domain.

So, after suspecting Sedo would rip me off with an awful exchange rate, I was shocked to find that $5000 was transposed into £2521 UK Sterling - almost better than the markets! Now I just had to get the money to Germany.......

  • Day1/Sunday: call NatWest, and am advised I need to go to branch to wire transfer money

  • Day2: go to local branch with NatWest card. Fillout long three page form - am advised after filling out form I need ID to avoid money laundering

  • Day3: return with request ID (having been advised it would be OK, I use my flying license as opposed to my driving license or passport - fewer pilots in the world) but am told must have driving license or passport

  • Day5: return to branch with passport - a red one with no electronic tag. Told it is not acceptable as not electronic!!!

  • Day6: ring Natwest customer services, and am advised that two NatWest cards plus pilots license plus passport plus a recent (less than 3months) NatWest statement plus a council tax bill would be sufficient ID to pass money laundering

  • Day9: return to branch to find that manager I had dealt with at branch is now on holiday. Refill out three page form, then advised by relief manager that the bundle of ID I have is still not sufficient - oh, but would I like to deposit the money I was banking in a new gold account to earn more interest? I pass on the opportunity of a Harvey Smith special, but am advised that although they have been called by the centralised customer services team, a call from my branch from someone I know (right - like any of their staff stay around for more than 6months...!) it "could help!" On asking where clearing for the order is done, am advised via Fax to Bristol. Where says I - your head office? I know where that is....

  • Day10 (this morning): having been advised over night by WesternUnion and Travelex that they can do an order on back of my Visa card and a NatWest statement (no need for a passport), I decide to give NatWest one more try. Ring my branch - the number has changed yet again! Ring new number, no one available so am transfered automatically to centralised customer service team again. Speak to very nice (tired) lady who says: Don't worry, as a special customer we do that sort of thing over the phone! 2mins later sum is transfered direct to Germany


  • If you want customer service, or consistency, then don't go to NatWest - flippin awful!

    No comments: