Wednesday 27 February 2008

20 years on from Suzie Lamplugh....

...and it appears little has been learnt about personal security in the Estate Agent industry.

Having sold my house in Kent, my agent would tell me: the names of the people turning up; that they had met them; and that they had passed money laundering regulations: their security procedure. You don't need the money laundering regulations/ID proof at that stage - but what a useful security check!

Viewings in Wales, and booking over the internet/phone in my name alone, I never received one confirmation phone call or other wise - just a confirmation via eMail of when/where. And all of the showers: single women! I asked one agent what their security check was - your landline number, and them phoning in to sat they arrived. The areas I am looking at are densely populated: but were those not the conditions that Suzie Lamplugh disappeared under?

Having worked in a field where entry to someone's home was a regular occurrence, we were subjected to rigorous checks - but some Agents seems happy to let anyone in to your house! From a personal perspective when viewing, I gave each agent without asking my car type/colour and registration number - I would have thought that even a basic piece of information like that was worthwhile.

It disturbs me that 20years after Suzie Lamplugh, even basic personal security is still lacking - particularly in the Estate Agent industry

No comments: